At Rhyl we believe that every child must be nurtured, valued and empowered to have the highest aspirations for their future and to reach their full potential through the provision of a stimulating, innovative and connected curriculum. We know that children learn best when they are happy, safe and have good physical and emotional health. We strive for our learning community to achieve the highest possible standards by equipping them with the skills to succeed and inspiring a lifelong love of learning.
We follow the Camden PSHE and Citizenship scheme of work during our weekly PSHE lessons. These lessons focus on; Self Awareness, Citizenship, Healthy and safe, Respect and Relationships. Lessons are taught by the class teacher in a calm and caring environment where children are safe and confident to share their thoughts, ideas and opinions. Alongside PSHE we teach Circle Time once a week which is an opportunity to discuss. Our weekly assemblies cover many PSHE topics as well current world topics and events to ensure our children gain the skills and knowledge to become global citizens with a rich cultural capital.
Building learning Power (BLP) has been developed alongside our children and is used in all lessons and through school life to promote the independence of learning skills. Using the 4R Superheroes; Reciprocal Ramina, Resourceful Ralf, Reflective Rushil and Resilient Rosie, children are able to learn about a develop a range of skills that help them to achieve their best, know how they learn best and have the skills to overcome difficulties. For more information, please visit our BLP page.
As part of our PSHE enrichment:
- Mindfulness is used regularly in all classes
- Mental Health Week takes place annually
- Help in Hand, our school therapy service, provides onsite wellbeing support
- Pupil Voice – JLT (Junior Leadership Team), Eco Warriors, Mental Health Champions, Reading Champions, Digital Champions, Music Champions, Sports Champions, Anti-bullying Champions
- Nurture Group – led by our learning Mentor
- Forest School – led by our Outdoor Classroom teacher
- Circle of Friends – led by the learning Mentor
- Year 6 mentors – each child has a mentor during their final year in primary school