At Rhyl we fully believe in being responsible global citizens who care about our immediate local and global environment. We are focused on Sustainability and ways to make the world a healthier, cleaner and greater place to live. We have a team of EcoWarriors, two per class, who are democratically chosen at the beginning of each academic year. The EcoWarriors meet at least once a half term where we will discuss key topics and plan events that will be happening in school.
Our Priorities for this year are:
- To ban single use plastic such as water bottles, straws and plastic bags
- To have visits from sustainable, eco -friendly speakers such as Greenpeace
- To have eco-friendly homework projects that use re-usable material
- Be involved in Energy Saving Week 2020
- Take part in regular litter picks within our school and local area
- Continue our links with Veolia
- Create Eco products a part of Enterprise Week 2020
In 2019 we were excited to be visited by MP Sir Keir Starmer who came to speak to us about sustainability and litter in Camden.
Our Eco Code is below:
Our latest Eco Review can be found here.
Some feedback from children:
‘I like being an EcoWarrior because I want to look after the planet and it is good to show other people how to recycle and make choices about their litter’
‘I like being an EcoWarriorbecause I have done assemblies to the school about saving energy and looking after the planet’
‘I like being an EcoWarrior at Rhyl because we have great outdoor space, even though we are in London and we go outside a lot’
‘The best thing about being an EcoWarrior is knowing that you are doing good for the environment’